Advertisement

Duterte to get shortlist for next PNP chief end-August

Interior Secretary Eduardo Año on Saturday said he will submit to President Rodrigo Duterte the shortlist of candidates for the country's top cop post on the last week of August.

“I will submit the list around the last week of August...More or less three to five names,” Año said.

He said all officers of PNP with star-rank can be considered for the post which will be vacated by Gen. Archie Gamboa upon his retirement on September 2.

“All three-star ranks are candidates and are priority in choice. (But) it depends on President Duterte because even up to one-star rank, he can choose,” he added.

Among the possible contenders for PNP chief are Lt. Gen. Camilo Cascolan, deputy chief for administration and head of the Administrative Support to COVID-19 Operations Task Force (ASCOTF); Lt. Gen. Guillermo Eleazar, deputy chief for operations and commander of the Joint Task Force Covid Shield; and Lt. Gen. Cesar Hawthorne Binag, chief of the PNP directorial staff.

Cascolan, a batchmate of Gamboa in the Philippine Military Academy, will mandatorily retire upon turning 56 in November.

Meanwhile, Binag and Eleazar, who are both from PMA Class 1987, will retire in April and November 2021, respectively.

Topics: Eduardo Año , Rodrigo Duterte , Archie Gamboa , Camilo Cascolan
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementKPPI
Advertisement