The Department of Health (DOH) has recognized the City of Paranaque for its relentless implementation of measures against the coronavirus disease, which led to a drop in the number of active cases to less than a hundred.
Dr. Corazon Flores, Metro Manila-Center for Health Development chief, said the leadership of Mayor Edwin Olivarez, its local Task Force COVID-19 members and several medical frontliners “ensured and fully implemented” the provisions of quality health services in the community since the pandemic started.
“For months, the City of Parañaque has taken drastic actions to contain the virus and save as many lives as possible. They deserve to receive the COVID-19 Response Service Award from the DOH,” said Flores.
The latest data from the Parañaque Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (CESU) showed the city has a total of 6,597 confirmed cases, with 6,337 recovered patients (96%) and just 166 deaths or 2.5%.
Last week, the city’s active COVID-19 cases were at 199, but by Saturday, Oct. 24, the number dipped further to 94 as 105 patients have recovered from the virus, according to Dr. Darius Sebastian, CESU chief.
Sebastian disclosed that Barangay Vitalez now has zero COVID-19 active cases out of the 116 confirmed cases recorded there with one fatality, while Barangay Sun Valley has one active case from 526 confirmed cases.
As of Saturday, the densely populated Barangay Baclaran has only three active cases and recorded 352 recoveries, while Barangay San Dionisio also has three active cases from 582 confirmed cases since March.
The active cases in the city’s biggest subdivision, Barangay BF Homes, has further declined to eight from its 737 confirmed cases.
The city government recently placed the three barangays under lockdown to slow the spread of the deadly disease.
Mayor Olivarez commended the sacrifice and bravery of the city doctors, nurses and all the other frontliners to protect the city against the COVID-19 pandemic while risking their lives in the process.