Are you looking for a one-stop place? Stop seeking elsewhere. All you need could be found in one destination.
Just two hours away from Manila lies the Subic Bay Freeport, the former American naval base operated and managed by the Subic Bay Metropolitan Authority since 1992, it is the country’s first military base converted into a tax- and duty-free zone.
Unknown to many, this investment haven is also a promising tourist destination, which offers unique and exciting activities that await curious locals and foreigners alike.
Tired? Breathe calmly as you listen to the waves hitting the seawall. Athletic? Subic has a wide range of activities to stretch those muscles. Adventurous? Subic provides the wildest, most up-to-date unique theme parks.
Everything is here in Subic.
Leave the confines of the metro and discover that Subic Bay is more than just a Freeport. Explore these fine places Manila Standard has listed just for you.
1. Subic Bay Yacht Club. Witness Subic Bay in its full glory by stopping over the Subic Bay Yacht Club. Inaugurated in 1997, the yacht club has seen first-hand the rich history of Subic—from its military roots to the blooming business and eco-tourism hub that it is today.
Surrounded by a mountain range and the West Philippine Sea, the Premiere Marina Country Club not only offers a great port for yacht owners to dock but also let them enjoy an overnight stay from an upper deck room up to a two-floor presidential suite, with Italian and Asian cuisines served by the cambusa oriental restaurant.
The hotel’s interior is just as grand as its surrounding natural bodies. The club has a lot of available sports facilities such as basketball, tennis, and beach volleyball courts, and a children’s playground.
With its stunning facilities, pristine calm waters, and safe harbor, the Subic Bay Yacht Club opens its port as a paradise to yacht owners and tourists, complete with superb service and warm hospitality.
2. The Lighthouse Marina Resort. Unrivaled for its exemplary beauty, elegance, and renowned service, the Lighthouse Marina Resort is a perfect getaway for sea-loving sailors. As Subic Bay's premier luxury hotel, it features 34 modern and tastefully-appointed suites and an all-day dining mecca.
Every room at this hotel is air-conditioned and features a flat-screen TV with cable channels and DVD player which are perfect for a leisurely stay. All rooms are equipped with a private bathroom.
For your comfort, you will find bathrobes, slippers and free toiletries. The rooms provide the utmost relaxation with a host of exquisite indulgences and good views of the hillside, bustling waterfront road, and the breathtaking bay capped by the glimmer of sunsets.
The Lighthouse offers room promos this rainy season. Check out their social media accounts for more info or call their 24-hour front desk.
3. Zoobic Safari. Located in the forest of Subic, the 25-hectare Zoobic Safari is the only Tiger Safari in the country. This forest adventure park treats guests to an exciting escapade.
Take a train ride and get an open tour of their different attractions, meet wild animals who are in their natural habitat, and be within paw-reach of these animals as you observe how they behave in their natural sanctuaries.
You can also walk over a steel grate walkway with crocodiles directly below you. Here you can dangle a quarter chicken on a fishing pole for the crocs to snap away from your line.
Far from the conventional zoo and theme park, Zoobic gives you a chance to meet wild animals up close and personal. In turn, it promotes awareness and concern for animals. This unique avenue to commune with nature is truly an thrilling treat for family and friends!
4. Ocean Adventure. Meet the majestic marine life in a trip to Subic’s Ocean Adventure. Grab the opportunity to swim with sea lions, get up close and personal with dolphins, and dive with sharks, turtles, and jacks in activities that will introduce you to the underside of the bay.
Ocean Adventure is the first open-water marine theme park in Southeast Asia. It is committed in providing entertainment, while encouraging youngsters and young-at-hearts to take an active role in the protection of marine wildlife. It also exhibits various shows such as Dolphin Tales—an exciting presentation of intelligence, discipline, and skill of some of the friendliest animals in the deep blue sea.
5. Tree Top Subic Adventure. Experience nature tripping from a breathtaking view at Treetop Subic Adventure, with its thrilling above-the-ground adventures. This includes Canopy Ride, Superman Turbo Charged, and Tree Drop Adventure. The park uses an original tree trunk clamping mechanism to make sure that trees are not harmed in their spectacular natural setting.
Learn how to make a bonfire or drink from water vines while taking a tour of Subic’s remarkably diverse landscape via trekking. Surf into the wind with a fellow rider while seeing the unmatched view of the forest wilderness at the Silver Surfer Ride. Corporate groups can also try team building activities here such as Dragon Boat and Team Cycling.
Journey into one-of-a-kind activities with tour guides who are trained in first aid, industrial rope access work, and basic rope access rescue at The Tree Top Adventure. With your unforgettable experience and their unparalleled expertise, this theme park succeeds in promoting a greater appreciation of nature and ecosystems in its rugged beauty.
Make no mistake—from its bay, its concrete, and its forest, Subic offers the perfect fusion of a rural and urban experience. While it allures businessmen to invest in the booming economic zone, it also captivates visitors to participate in the rising eco-tourism industry. Subic Bay is not just for large ships of exports, but also for travellers who are in for a surprise.
So pack your things, drive your way, rent a hotel, and take your much-needed break at the harbor.
Stop seeking elsewhere. All you need could be found here.
Subic is more than just a Freeport. It has everything.
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.