DILG to close Boracay on June 1

The Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) eyes the closure of Boracay island in June this year.

DILG Assistant Secretary Epimaco Densing says, the island will be closed to tourists for two months.

The period will begin on June 1 and will end on July 31, 2018.

The move is meant to rehabilitate Boracay.

Densing says, even the commercial establishments that did not commit any violation of environmental laws will also be closed.

He notes, the DILG came up with the June-July schedule as it considers the onset of the rainy season when tourism is presumably down.

But the Philippine Chamber of Commerce of Industry (PCCI) in Boracay says, there is no more low period for tourist arrivals in the island.

The chamber also reports, there had been cancellation of tourists' reservations in hotels and resorts for March and April.

This comes as a result of the announcement on the temporary closure of Boracay.

Topics: Boracay , closure , environment , DILG
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.