Advertisement

Belmonte: QC ready to fight off dengue outbreak

The Quezon City government is ready for any eventuality of a dengue outbreak, even as it recorded fewer cases of the disease in the first seven months of 2019 compared to the previous two years.

In a report, the city’s health office said from January to July 13, the number of dengue cases was at 2,218, with 19 casualties.

In 2017, the city recorded 7,527 dengue cases with 75 deaths, while there were 8,158 cases with 74 deaths in 2018.

Despite the improvement, Mayor Joy Belmonte said the city government would not let its guard down and continue its aggressive campaign against dengue.

“We will do our best to lower the incidence of dengue cases, if not totally prevent it, especially during the peak months,” she said.

Last year, Belmonte noted the peak in dengue cases from Aug. 4 to Aug. 10 and Sept. 29 to Oct. 25.

As part of its efforts to combat dengue, the city has made sure that rapid diagnostics test kits or NS1 are always available in health centers to help doctors diagnose and assess dengue cases.

The mayor said the city government also has a referral mechanism in place for patients with warning signs of dengue and need hospitalization.

Moreover, the city government is also closely monitoring the 10 barangays with the highest number of dengue cases—Payatas A and B, Commonwealth, Batasan, Fairview, Kamuning, Tatalon, Pasong Tamo, Tandang Sora, Bagong Silangan and Bagbag.

Also, Belmonte allayed fears about the spread of leptospirosis, saying the city’s health centers have enough supply of medicine. 

Meanwhile, the mayor led the distribution of financial assistance to 1,074 families who lost their homes to fires in Barangays Commonwealth, Culiat, North Fairview, Baesa, and San Antonio on Wednesday, 17 July.

Belmonte went straight from the airport to Quezon Memorial Covered Court to hand the financial aid to the fire victims.

House owners received 2,000 pesos while sharers/renters received 1,000 pesos.

On July 5, Mayor Belmonte also led the distribution of financial assistance to 57 families affected by a fire in Barangay Bahay Toro.

Topics: Mayor Joy Belmonte , Quezon City , QC , dengue outbreak
COMMENT DISCLAIMER: Reader comments posted on this Web site are not in any way endorsed by Manila Standard. Comments are views by manilastandard.net readers who exercise their right to free expression and they do not necessarily represent or reflect the position or viewpoint of manilastandard.net. While reserving this publication’s right to delete comments that are deemed offensive, indecent or inconsistent with Manila Standard editorial standards, Manila Standard may not be held liable for any false information posted by readers in this comments section.
AdvertisementKPPI
Advertisement